Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, February 20, 2015

18 Ways to keep warm in cold countries and cold weather - 18 Tips and tricks

A writer asked how to keep warm when sitting writing.

1 Firstly you could write standing up and jiggle about.

WARM UP
2 Start your day with a hot bath. 
3 Have a hot drink, held in your hands, with a cover so it doesn't spill. 

4 Set a buzzer and every half hour get up, dance to music. 

5 Wash hands in hot water and soak them in basin of hot water. 

6 At your desk: Hot water bottle on your lap or as a wrist rest. 

7 Wear a neck warmer. 

8 Wear a hooded dressing gown or house coat. 

9 Sit under car rug. 

10 Wear knee length boots or big boots with two pairs of socks. 

11 Sit in the smallest room. 

12 Put door stops or cushions over draughts around doors, keyholes and windows. - but air rooms to prevent moisture growing mould. 

13 Have an afternoon nap or early night. Work in bed with a hot water bottle or electric blanket. 

OUTDOORS
14 Go for a walk outdoors wearing a ski jacket and gloves and a hooded scarf. 

15 Buy chemical hand warmers from a ski resort. You shake the chemicals to mix them. The ones we bought lasted about 30 minutes. But in insulated gloves they will stay warm about two hours. You then have to buy more  

16 If you take an organised walk, such as a Dickens tour, Beatles Tour, Jack the Ripper tour, you will need warm shoes and clothes. Once winter I was invited on a London walk. As I dressed to go I almost turned back when I opened my front door to be greeted by a chill wind. 

I wondered how I had survived skiing holidays the previous two years in the USA, with knee high snow, and icicles hanging from the windows. Quite simple, we had worn ski clothes. Pity I didn't have them. Actually I did. I hunt through the cupboards revealed ski jackets or various thickness and colours from plain to shrieking - 'help - find me in an avalanche - look here!' 

More rummaging produced socks so thick they could only be worn with boots. The warm gloves matching the hat would suit a boxer and look absurd with anything except a complete ski outfit.

Nobody I knew was on the walk. I wore the ski outfit.

When I reached the meeting place, I was the only person dressed in absurd shouting colours. The tour guide was not interested in criticising my clothes. He was only interested in remembering his stories.

As we progressed the other walkers got chillier and chillier, sniffing, hugging themselves to keep warm. At the end an American couple said enviously, "We wish we had thought of wearing our ski clothes. You do look nice and warm."

INDOORS
17 Sew your old scarves with small seams at midpoint to make hoods to wear indoors and out. 

18 Wear gloves with fingertips cut off or buy them in Poundland so you can type wearing gloves. Some mittens have fold back finger covers but when folded down they cover all fingers.

Angela is a travel writer, author and speaker.

No comments: