Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, April 18, 2015

New in Next - Costa in Clacton

We drove round and round, past the sea and seafront trees, and fresh air, looking for guaranteed good coffee in Clacton. Then round the back streets and charity shops and residents parking. (Couldn't risk waiting forever and driving back to London before finding a loo, I went to the public toilet. Reading the sign overhead warning that the entrance was on video, I thought they're watching, and retreating in embarrassment finding I had walked into the gents where a gentleman fortunately was not facing me. Having lived overseas, I have learned the half squat, feet on floor, so even a dirty toilet seat or one which looks clean but might be full of invisible germs hoping for a host does not phase me, I tell myself. However, my bag is heavy and there's no hook and I don't want it on the floor. How do storks and dogs manage the lop-sided plant-watering?)

The only coffee shop was closed so I asked the man working next door, 'Excuse me, d'you know a Costa, or Starbucks or ... anywhere good for coffee?"

"Yes, just over there at the end of the road, in Next in the shopping centre."

My first thought is, "Not in a shopping centre, we'll have to pay to park, spend 30 minutes fighting crowds to find the shop, then it'll be in a windowless corner. But I am delighted to find that the Costa is instantly visible adjacent to the car park and the windows of the upstairs Costa are easy to locate. One mark for easy parking, One mark for easy to find. One mark for windows.

Great welcome from the cheerful Latvian lady, young lady, in charge. She said she was previously in the largest of several Costa branches in Colchester and had already recognised customers she knew from her previous Costa. She rushed to carry my tray, keen to keep us happy, nothing was too much trouble.

Great coffee and almond bake cake. Newspapers to read. Brand new one person toilet, unisex with washbasin inside. never mind that the blower turns on if you lean to the left as you walkin Never mind that the tap turns on automatically if you lean to the left as you reach the toilet. It's all sparkling clean. I make sure when I leave it's equally good to find. Back to an espresso with panne - a spiral of cream on top. And my favourite almond cake.

A table for two with armchairs is by the serving area. If you prefer, you could choose upright chairs, or go over by the window. If you don't want to lose calories galloping up and down stairs or have a pushchair or wheelchair there's a lift at the back of the store bringing you out near the serving counter. Bliss.

 Clean and comfortable, coffee and cake. What more could you want?

Only opened Last Thursday. They'll be really pleased to see you, all smiles. Welcome you in and wave goodbye with a 'Do come back!' 

No comments: