Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, October 10, 2016

Power Plate to Shift Those Pounds


I am tapping my feet as I type this. You could tap your feet as you read. Why? to diminish your guilt.

I went to the David Lloyd centre, not to exercise, but to attend a Toastmasters speakers' meeting. I made up for it by an aqua class. When I got to my gym and swim reception, I remembered that I had booked a demo of the Power Plate.

Power plate
What made me interested in the power plate? I had forgotten that it existed.

But recently I picked up a leaflet at the gym. They were advertising sessions on a paid-for machine which does a high vibrate massage which you do before a workout. A testimonial from a member was accompanied by photos before and after showing she lost a visible amount of weight and shape in three months. She used a combination of Weight Watchers, a 'massage' machine' and three times a week workouts.

My family read all the instructions on the machine. They told me before committing time and money I should try the similar free Power Plate which shakes you up, to see if I liked it.

A good thing I had the demo before trying it out myself. In theory with any machine you just must be determined enough and alert enough to read through all the instructions.

But it is not right for granny to jump on following the demo by a fitter friend or family member. You might be taken by surprise and thrown off balance. Or strain something.

The first thing I was asked by the trainer was, "Do you have a pacemaker? No? Any broken or brittle bones? Really yes."

"Actually I have brittle bones, osteoporosis." The trainer looked doubtful. He immediately went off to double-check with the gym manager.

I thought they would say I can't use the machine. However, I was told I could use it but keep it set to low and use short bursts.

Workout Clothes
Wear suitable clothes. Luckily I had a short sleeved vest which doubled as a workout top and short leg or no short swimsuit which looked like workout shorts. My swimsuit was old and had already lost elastic so not too new nor valuable. I carry them as a spare. I had the leg massage lying on the plate and I thought it snagged the fabric of my swimsuit. A proper pair of shorts might survive better.

You have to check each time you turn the vibrations on and of that it has re set to low. Mostly it does. Once it didn't. You also don't want your tongue between your teeth during the process or in case you fall.

My Verdict
A very interesting exercise. Oops that is a metaphor? I meant, should have said, experiment.

I am sure I would lose weight if I were to eat less or move more. I should stand more and sit less whether walking or running. I could try dancing. Or join weight watchers. I ought to do that as well as using a machine.

What would the machine do for me? Firstly it might be good exercise. Anything to get me out of my chair and standing upright would be a start. Secondly all that effort in the gym would simply focus my mind on constantly trying to eat less and move more. As Tesco slogan says, 'every little helps'.

In the sauna a friend told me she does two classes in succession at the weekend. The second session is spinning. Afterwards she uses the power late. She thinks the effect is greater on warmed up muscles.

Sitting listening to music and tapping my feet, I prefer a fast background beat. If the music is too loud and has singing, I find myself listening to the word and creating parodies or alternative songs to the same tune. I forget and get distracted from any exercise. Instead I have to stop and rush off to write down the words.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: