Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Today's Italian words, the dentist's chair



I can often see the root of an Italian word but with my first guess I can make a big mistake. For example, what is d e n t i f r i c i o ? The root, Dent, means tooth and appears in dental and dentist. It looks like the dentist is/has red green - is it the dentist's office has red and green chairs or walls? No. The toothpaste is red and green. Isn't it dentifrice in French?

How do I remember the word for toothbrushes? S p a z z o l i n i? I think of an electric toothbrush which buzzes. S p a z z o l i n i . I sit in a spa with my electric tooth brush which buzzes like an electric linguini.

How do I remember the words for parents? G e n i t o r i. I must not mix it up with genitals. I think of janitor and I have the correct vowels in the middle.

English - Italian
dentist - dentista
parents - g e n i t o r i
toothbrushes - s p a z z o l i n i - toothbrushes
toothpaste - d e n t i f r i c i o

Now all I have to do is clean my teeth and remember the words.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker, English teacher and language tutor.

No comments: