Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, June 28, 2020

Swimming in Singapore Resumes - with human body temperature checks


Swimming has resumed in Singapore. From Saturday 27th June 2019.

Silence and Noise
On Saturday nobody was around the swimming pool nor checking it. Silence.

Sunday, you can see and hear that the pool is open.

Off To Swim
As I approach the pool, trying to skirt around an official in a mask who steps foward into my path, he addresses me.

"Good morning, Ma-am. Would you sign in please?"

"Yes, of course."

At the desk, I have to write down on a sheet of columned paper, my name, unit (flat) number, time in, phone numbr, signature.

The official then takes my temperature with a thermometer alarmingly near my forehead and eyes. I try to dodge backwards.

He tells me, "Keep still". I keep still. The thermomenter touches my forehead.

Just what I was trying to avoid. Never mind. I shall have my forehead washed in the chlorinated swimming pool water.


I walk past the outdoor foot shower. Then the full height shower.  I don't want to touch anything which anybody else has touched.

I have just had a shower in my bathroom. In the olden days I would have had a shower anyway. Why? To get in the habit, reassure others, protect my reputation, and set a good example.

But today I don't want to touch anything.

I can hear an American mother talking to a swimming instructor. She is saying how much her daughter loves water, even in the bath. The mother pronounces bath as bath to rhyme with bat. American accent. New York accent?

American Accent
I listen again. The second time she pronounces it nearer to the British, London, pronounciation. I say bath to rhyme with laugh.

Time for my swim. I forgot to remove my mask.

Masks
You still have to wear a mask on your way to and from the pool. The lift lobby has signs about wearing masks.

I was half way across the pool before I realised that I was still wearing my mask.

Back to the lift lobby.

Hand Sanitiser
A hand sanitiser. Put your hand under it and nothing happens. You have to move. Swipe right and left and a drop of liquid descends.

I get into the lift and swipe the button with the back of my finger. But that was not sanitised. OK for others as I just came out of the swimming pool. But I must remember to put the back of my hand under the snatiser dispenser, or rub the liquid over both sides of my hand.

On Sunday.

Useful Websites On Swimming
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_stroke
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_signal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiopulmonary_resuscitation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emergency_telephone_numbers

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.


No comments: