Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Online - office wear, smart casual caftan, or not? - Embarrassing Moments In Caftans


Home-Office Embarrassment
I wore caftans on the Singapore MRT. I was the only one.

They are also very useful as a night dress if you are expecting workmen first thing in the monring and want to appear at the door covered up, not in see-through baby dolls.

So, day or night, home or out, the ideal dress. Suitable for all occasions, I thought.

I wondered why more people didn't wear caftans.

One day my Singaporean girlfriend asked me, "Why do you always wear caftans?"

I replied, "Because they are comfortable. Why doesn't everyone? I see caftans sold in the shops, but I never see anybody wearing them. I suppose the workers like form-fitting businesslike jackets for the office."

She nodded. "Yes, nobody in Singapore wears caftans out in public. They are for wearing around the house, like pyjamas. You look like you rushed out and didn't have time to dress."

I went bright red. I had spent 20 years travelling on the MRT train in pyjamas! People had not stared or looked away because I was the only blonde, or beause I had beautiful blue eyes. They were wondering why I was not properly dressed but had rushed out in my night-dress, housecoat or dressing gown.

However, caftans are very handy at home, now that we are all at home in Covid-19.

This story about my embarrassing moment is a good one when asked to describe your most embarrassing moment at a meeting of toastmasters international.

No comments: