Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Insect bites, swelling, shape and size, cause and calming - Identified and treated - helpful advice from the UK, USA, Singapore and Australia - Worst case scenario - scorpions!

 

Stingose. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

I have an itchy swelling on my arm from an insect bite or bites. I was out in the garden before a family meal.

I woke in the night with swelling.

I have read the online advice from a US website and the UK NHS website. It seems I don't need medical intervention unless it is around the face, or I can't breathe, or vomit, which is not the case.

I am not in trouble until the swelling is more than 10 cm. I measured it. It is currently 5 cm.

Stingose, a small spray which comes from Australia, usually helps a lot. Not this time.

When the shops open I shall ask for calamine in the pharmacist. I could buy calamine cheaper in the supermarket but I want the pharmacist's advice and I am willing to buy from them as a thank you. Much cheaper and quicker than going to a doctor.

I have taken a photo of the swelling so I can send it. Also to keep a record of whether it is increasing in size and over what time.

A friend warns me to watch out for a circle around a spot. Watch out for lyme disease.

What is the worst case scenario? Analyphylactic shock. Mosquitos and malaria or dengue fever. Scorpions.



Scorpions
Another friend was bitten by a scorpion in Singapore. The scorpion was inside a plasti-wrapped fruit.

She saved the scorpion in a plastic box to show the hospital. She instinctively sucked out the poison and spat it out and washed out her mouth. the hospital doctor told her she had done the right thing.

Her son and daughters-in-law drove her to the hospital. Later the young ladies insisted on releasing the baby scorpion by the reservoir. (Now we know where not to walk!)

Interestingly the UK website warns against going barefoot outdoors. I have always thought that was a bad idea, as I once stepped on a nail which went through my shoe.

Anyway, the best painkiller was distraction from being online!

Why cover a bite?
To prevent yourself from scratching.

Why not scratch?
Because you expose the skin underneath to infection.
Because the blood will stain a white blouse or shirt sleeve - or the bed's sheet or pillor.

The pharmacy checked it was a bite, no visible sting, and sold me antihistamine.

I now have a plaster over it to stop the cream rubbing off on my sleeve. I must go sleeveless.


Useful Websites (By country)

AUSTRALIA

SINGAPORE



UK




USA

WIKI


See my later post with more information.

No comments: