Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, September 25, 2021

Secrets of the synagogue in Synagogue Street in Singapore

Magain Aboth synagogue. For details of photo go to Wikipedia.

The top site for colourful photos of the synagogue in Singapore is the Long and Winding Road website, promoting the Secrets of Singapore book.

The Mikvah

 I have visited the synagogue several times, once on a tour organized by Friends of The Museum, which included a side trip to the mikvah. (A mikvah is a ritual sunken bath with running water for women).

 I also visited with the family on a Saturday morning where I witnessed a bar mitzvah when ladies threw wrapped boiled sweets from the ladies' gallery. (Later, throwing items was banned on health and safety grounds.)

 I visited again for a Friday night service and dinner (after paying in advance so as not to exchange money on the sabbath). I wanted to try out some recipes and compare the Sephardi (Spanish and Southern and Asian style cuisine, which features more rice) compared to Ahskenazi cuisine (German and northern European and western European, Russian and Ukrainian style, more popular in London, England, featuring potatoes such as latkes and  dumplings.) So I went back yet again to see the kosher food shop. 

Jacob Ballas And Blue Stained Glass

What I missed on my previous tours and visits was the wonderful blue stained glass in the reading room of the Jacob Ballas centre, named after the stockbroker who built it. He also donated  a swing for children in the Jacob Ballas Children's Garden in the Botanical Gardens, one of the national parks of Singapore - which is free to visit.

When I look up synagogue street on the internet I get Synagogue street in Norwich England. That's news to me. But what I am searching for is Synagogue street in Singapore. 

Useful websites

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1791756220849507&type=3

https://www.nparks.gov.sg/gardens-parks-and-nature/parks-and-nature-reserves/jacob-ballas-childrens-garden

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/singapore-virtual-jewish-history-tour

No comments: