Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Statues of Irish Authors To See Outdoors In Ireland: Brendan Behan, James Joyce, Oscar Wilde

 

Bust of William Butler Yeats, poet, at Sandymount, Ireland.
I remember at school in London, England, being taught Yeat's poem, whose line I recall as, 'tread softly, for you tread on my dreams'.

Brendan Behan, seated statue. Ireland.

Oscar Wilde statue, Ireland.
Oscar Wilde wrote the humorous play, The Importance of being Ernest. Wilde was a wit. When he was stopped at Customs, entering the USA, he said, I have nothing to declare except my genius. Wilde also inspired the wit of others.
In London he was talking to his friend, the painter Whistler. After Whistler made a witty remark, Oscar Wilde commented, I wish I had said that. Whistler retorted, You will, Oscar, you will.


Another Oscar Wilde statue is in London, England, near Trafalgar Square. His grave is in Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris, France.

James Joyce statue, Ireland. James Joyce, novelist, 1882-1941. Wrote Ulysses, set in Dublin, capital of Eire.

Useful Websites

No comments: