Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, March 27, 2022

How to track down an interesting insect like the tiger moth, even if you don't have a camera



I was reading the pictures behind glass when I saw a static moth. I didn't know whether it was alive or dead, but it was not moving and had great colours on the body and a fascinating pattern on the wings. 

I wanted a picture. Unfortunately I had rushed out without my mobile phone. How could I get a photo? 

Ask the nearest person, who had a mobile phone, or ask if they had a mobile phone. Seated nearby was a family of three. Surely one of them would have a phone and be willing to take a photo.

If not I would have to walk further, or return later. I hoped they would be interested and willing.

Sure thing - yes. They all three stepped over to look at it. Their offspring was as excited and thrilled as I was. 

The father took a photo. He looked at it and decided to take another, more carefully, to get it sharper. He adjusted and was satisfied with the result.

He sent it to me. Through WhatsApp.

Later I hunted for it. My laptop was set to the UK address and up came a UK moth identification site, with no result. So I switched my search to identify moths of Singapore.

Immediately a similar photo popped up. The moth is known colloquially as a tiger moth, because of its striped body, I presume. It is also known as a wooly bear. 

The technical name is Huber's moth, I imagine after Huber who first saw it and classified it and identified its characteristics. Huebneri, easy to remember, as it has a hue, like b for butterfly, nearby in daytime. It is also called a day-flying moth. This sounds like an oxymoron, a contradiction in terms. 

This moth, and/or similar ones, can be found in Singapore and Northern Australia.

Useful websites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amata_huebneri

No comments: