Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, May 9, 2022

Getting To Grips With Chinese Language

  When I get in the lift (elevator) in Singapore I read the Chinese and English instructions. I look for the simple signs, like the double curve like the running legs pronounced ren for person. The English instruction mentioning the guard uses three symbols, including this one.

Another simple source is the children's card book I bought which shows the flags. I have learned the sign for Japan. Ri ben. Sun origin. Sun, like a squared off sun, doubled, like sunrise and sunset.

The Chinese sign for America is beautiful country, or beautiful kingdom. Wei, meaning beautiful is the sign for sheep. 

(That reminds me of the slightly rude joke about sheep in New Zealand: 'Why do you have to fetch the sheep in before it gets dark? So you can see them and recognize them. Otherwise, you only get the ugly ones.')


Useful Websites

books

Chinese for toddlers and beginners


Academic

The language of Language by Madalena Cruz-Ferreira and Sunita Anne Abraham





duolingo.com

wiki Chinese language


No comments: