Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Save Yourself and Your Family and Friends, Around Wet Floors, Sea Water, Snow, Sand, and Seasides: precautions and where to find help

Wet floor sign.

Life is full of hazards. Small, common, everyday hazards. 

I recently (May 2022) slipped on a tiled floor in Singapore after rain, near a swimming pool, in Cashew Heights Condo, on the route to the shop. Two hazards, the wet tiled floor, no warning, since the water was not caused by the staff but by the rain.

Many places put up warning signs if the cleaners have made the floor wet. I have seen other signs warning that the Ladies toilet area can be slippery if the floor is made wet by users, such as by washing hands. I cannot understand why it is not mandatory to have non-slip floors/floor tiles in public and private bathrooms, and kitchens. In fact all public areas. 

You can take responsibility for the safety of others, and yourself.

 Secondly, I looked at my footwear and realized my favorite old Clogs had worn down soles not providing the proper grip of new shoes.

I was so shaken, and my knee hurt, so I could not go swimming that day. the next day I was careful to check the soles of my shoes. 

Unusual and serious beach hazards

Japanese tsunami warning.

USA tsunami warning, Santa Monica beach.

Many beaches have red flag signs. 

Some beaches tell you when there is a lifeguard on duty and warn you no to swim when there is not lifeguard.

 Before swimming or walking or digging, alert others and discuss safety precautions. Many swimming pools and beaches have safety lines, and resuscitation equipment and helplines.

When you ring the emergency number, you can be told where to find the nearest defibrilator, which sends a shock to re-start the heart.

Update

I thought that you should not dig above your neck height in case the sand fell in. However, I suppose the weight of sand or earth could knock you over. The advice I read today was don't dig below knee level. The other thing I noticed was that in season there are life guards or rangers, but we are not yet in the height of the season. 

Useful websites

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10827513/Double-tragedy-teenagers-18-13-die-separate-sand-collapses.html#reader-comments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emergency_telephone_numbers

https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/how-to-save-a-life/defibrillators

No comments: