Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, May 12, 2022

Singlish, translated into worldwide, international English - no more already


 

How would you translate the Singlish, 'No more already,' into international English?

My choices would be: We don't do that any longer. / That's been discontinued. / We don't have any more stock.

Sentence Structure
When I analyze the sentence, I start from the point of view that an English sentence has a subject (a noun or pronoun) followed by a verb. (Called SVO for short.) So a sentence should start with I or we. In the case of a shop or restaurant or club or another organization, the collective we would be used.

Suggestion From Carolyn Street

I'm afraid that model has been discontinued / Sorry, we don't stock those any more / Those are sold out.

I tried using Google translate.

No more, already, translates as this.


沒有了,已經

Méiyǒule, yǐjīng


When you translate that back into English, you get the translation, no more already.


  • Thank you, Carolyn. I tried Google translate.
    沒有了,已經
    Méiyǒule, yǐjīng
  • Angela Lansbury
    When I translate that back into English, I get no more, already, not an English construction.
  • Angela Lansbury
    However, after splitting the first Chinese symbol phrase into two, I get the translations no have, already.
  • Angela Lansbury
    A second attempt gets an alternative translation, have nothing left.
  • Now I know why the Chinese speakers have such trouble speaking correct English.
  • Yian Tay
    No more lieow😂
  • Yian Tay
    Finished…
    It’s discontinued
    Its out of stock
    Stopped production/making it
    • Angela Lansbury
      Yian Tay That is an interesting variation. I like it's discontinued, or its out of stock. They've stopped production/Making it / We've stopped production/making it. (Better still, 'We don't have any more of those - but you might like ...')


  • Katherine Cheng
    Really depends on context.
    Someone trying to get me to eat some more.
    My reply might be: No more already!
    Meaning: Thanks, that’s plenty!
    Someone telling me about the benefits of X.
    NO MORE ALREADY!
    Meaning: Had enough; stop talking!
    Someone listing the ill effects of chocolate.
    NO MORE ALREADY!
    Meaning: I DON’T wanna know!
    NO MORE X ALREADY.
    = We’ve run out of X.
    NO MORE <behaviour> ALREADY.
    = STOP <behaviour>
    NO MORE ALREADY
    - could well be a response to various questions, including about a relationship, a pregnancy, a neighbour from another country.
    PS: Had a good friend at (post)grad level who was born in and grew up in Singapore. Have been a few times, as well.

Useful Websites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singlish

No comments: