Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, April 7, 2023

How To Perform Poetry Online and Be Seen Worldwide, Using Campaigning Poetry - Plus Deep Sleep Comic poem by Angela Lansbury

 I thought I would have to travel overseas to perform my poetry at literature event 

Then I heard about several online Zoom poetry groups in Asia and India and with readers and listeners and from around the world. I was told by active Singaporean poet Sylvia Ang, who I have known a long time from Braddell Heights Advanced speakers' training group.

It is best to have a short poem which you can remember. But have the text on the table in case you forget a line. I had printed out my poem. But we had no running order, The host gave me no indication when I would speak. Sometimes they announce in this fashion,

"Next will be Angela, followed by Sylvia and then Peter. Angela is a poet from .... who also teaches English and writes books on subjects such as Poetry Workbook. ... - She will give you the links to the books in the Zoom chat afterwards.'

How do you find your poem to read aloud online? I had printed out my poem, but it vanished. Luckily, or rather by design, as a backup, I also had it in my blog, so I quickly pulled up my blog and read it out. (See below)


Afterwards, I found that the printed paper with my poem had fallen on the floor and was under my chair. 

My second poem was from one of my poetry books, so I was able to hold up my book to show the audience the front cover, before turning to the pag I had marked with both a small Post-it and a large tuichk bookmark.

Afterwards, I looked for a card index box. I started a card for each Poetry group, and a master list of all my readings in date order. That way I could avoid reading the same poem twice to the same group.

If you are writing campaign poetry, you might choose to read the same poem over and over again, either to reach those members of the audience who are new to your poem, or to drum home the message. 

One poem from a writer in the USA was about a call for banning guns in the USA which cause, or enable mass killings. I had heard it before but had no objection to hearing it again. Reading it again and again is part of the campaign.

Poetry Which Rhymes

1 h 
Deep Sleep
by Angela Lansbury

At midight I might be in bed
I wonder whom I am cheating
I've listed things I need to do
Filled in the entire year's meetings

But sleep is ageing's antidote
Wrinkles reward, record sorrow
If I'd good thoughts, I ought to note
Type scrappy scribble tomorrow

I could not sleep, wanted to keep
The fires of excitement burning
At one a.m. my thoughts still deep
Wiped worries with language learning

I sighed at German der, die, das
I looked for knife and fork and spoon
Is this seat taken, please sit down
Too much sun, I see the moon

I hoped that I could beat the clock
And be up bright and swim at dawn
But borrowed time must be paid back
Late nights mean you risk a late morn
Can't escape fate, I got up late
I repaid debts from yesterday
I missed the morning from today
Woke late today, I'm glad to say
Although I'm late, I feel refreshed
The slate is clean, I've done my best
Forget yesterday, it's finished
Ready to pass the new day's test.
-ends-
Copyright Angela Lansbury 2023 Friday 7th April
Poem first draft on Facebook page Poetry Which Rhymes. This revised longer version on blogspot.com

Angela Lansbury has performed on
Reacharts (see Facebook) - orgnaized from the USA
The Fertile Brain - organized from India






No comments: