Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, April 28, 2023

Secrets of Sake - the advantages, the best temperature, and matching food

Sake  contains no sulphites.
Sake to match with Peking duck - Muriko No Sake Tokubetsu.
At the ProWine show at Expo in Singapore a Masterclass enabled us to try three flavours of Sake and to learn about Sake. I loved the Sake, all three of them. Yes, I like Sake.

I wasn't just saying I liked them because I got a free drink or because I was inebriated. I really liked them. One of them was 14% alcohol and one was 16%.  I don't like spirits, and whisky is not my thing, I like sweet sherry such as Harveys Bristol Cream, well, I would, because I am British, but I love sake. I am not Japanese, but I love sake. 

Sake, naturally goes with Japanese food, if you eat a meal in a Japanese restaurant. I had not of having Sake to go with Sushi which is widely available from the Sushi counter at Fairprice supermarket in Singapore  much more sushi than at Tesco in London.  

Our educator also recommended sake to be drunk with, matched with, Indian food.

What did I learn about Sake?

1 Sake has three ingredients. The main two are rice and water.  We watched a video of the rice being prepared. The rice is polished. More polishing means a different flavour. 

What do you say when you raise a glass of sake to your host or guest at dinner? You say, 'Kampai!' That means cheers. Literally, dry cup. In effect, empty the cup. 

That's not hard to do, because Sake cups are small.

No comments: