Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, August 29, 2024

Zufa Lebanese Restaurant in Hatch End and Northwood - a Zinging time, a drink with dates and BYO day


Zufa Lebanese restaurant, beside Kyoto Korean and Izgara Turkish, all in bustling Hatch End, beside the crossing. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Restaurant location 

 Zufa Lebanese restaurant in north west London has branches in both Hatch End and Northwood.

The Restaurant Name

 \The name Zufa is a girl's name meaning elegant. It is elegant and understated. 

Zufa at night. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Website

I looked up the restaurant menu in advance so I knew what I wanted to order. The date drink. The mixed starter or mezze. The duck wrap for my main course. Baklava for dessert.

Seating Greeting

We had made an evening dinner reservation for four, two couples. We were immediately greeted by Diana who offered us a choice of tables. I normally like to sit away from the window. However, our guests seemed intent on sitting under the glass canopy with a view onto the street.

Whether Window Seats?

Fortunately for me, the two tables immediately next to the outside were occupied. So we were set slightly back. I don't like being by the window.. It's like eating in a goldfish bowl.

 As we sat down, we heard the insistent bleep bleep bleep of the pedestrian crossing outisde.. By day you can see how the window seats of the three adjacent restaurants are beside the crossing - which makes them easy to find.

 Fortunately I only noticed the crossing bleep a couple of times during the evening. Though we were also disturbed a couple times by cars or bikes racing past.

Our friends clearly didn't mind. Why? Some people love window seats because they like light. Some like fresh air. Some hate looking at walls. Some want to view a busy street and feel they are out in the world for the evening.

Drink Made From Dates

Dates Drink, (Jallab) Zufa restaurant, Hatch End. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

The evening started well. My dates drink came up fast. With a metal straw. A real date flavour. Ice and ine nuts.

 I would eat there again and again just to have the date drink. 

I had looked it up online. Some suppliers charge a lot for a bottle of it. Other sell a small jar, but the postage is twice the price of the goods

Starters

Starter at Zufa restaurant. Photo by Angela Lansury. Copyright.


We had a huge plate of meze or mixed starters. A meal in itself . Enough chicken cubes, humous, yogurt mix, green moist mountain. The flat bread was a bit dry. 

I felt I had hardly room for the main course after that.

Main Courses

Duck

Duck wrap with chips at Zufa. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

For the main course I chose the duck magret. Duck magret is not ordinary duck, apparently, but fed well, like the foie gras which some places have banned. 

Lamb

Lovely lamb shank at Zufa Restaurant. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

The best dish, in my opinion, was the lamb which was moist meat. My husband chose cooked vegetables instead of french fries, just as well. as we had more than enough french fries, enough to take some home.

Desserts

Finally baklava. Slightly cheaper than the alternatives. I kner from elsewhere not to order chocolate baklava which sounds interesting. The chocolate flour drown aout they honey and nuts and flaky pastry which are the main feaures of baklava. The alternative  slightly dearer dessert we wanted was not in stock. The baklava looked good, and plentiful, in small pieces. I thought the baklava was a bit dry, so did the other diners. All four of us tried it. 

One diner said, 'I don't think it was home made'. I think that serving it in tiny pieces allows it to dry out.

Lebanese Coffee

The Lebanese coffee was not thick like Turkish, Greek and Cypriot coffee. Nor did it come ready sweetneed as an opiton, (unlike Turksih, Greek and Cypriot coffee). Sugar in ackets were brought on the side. The novelty was the small long handled saucepan to serve yourself. Amusing to look at. I thought it lacked the flavour or coffee, and the flavour and sustenance of milk and sugar. An amusement to try once. But next time I would order a regular coffee or cappucino or drink decaff at home. As an entertainment for our guests, it worked well. 

Zufa Lebanese coffee. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright

So, what's my verdict? Ten out of ten for the date drink. The starter, a good 9, except for the bread. Don't order more, even though they might, politely, ask if you want more. If I went back, I would order the date drink again, maybe indulge in two, the mixed platter starter, the lamb shank, not the baklave, another dessert, and a different coffee. Yes, I would definitely go back. Date drink, as they say, to die for.

Verdict On Size

One plate of starters, mixed platter, was enough for two, and the plate of baklava desserts was enough for two.

Decor

The decor of the restaurant and toilets is understated. No distraction, visually, nor music and on a midweek night no noise from other people. We were all very satisfied with the novelty food and our cosy evening together. 

I looked up recipes for making your own jellabi, and baklav. Both involved hours of work. No thanks, I'll eat out or order in or look in the supermarkets.

Amazon had several suppliers but the first two I tried said they could not deliver to my address so I gave up.

TOP TIP

you can order their food online for collection or delivery.

Tuesday is BYO (bring your own bottle) day.

Useful Websites

Zufa

https://zufa.co.uk/takeaway/#/collection

Dates drink (Jallab)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallab

Baklava from Tescosupermarket

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products

https://www.ocado.com/products/m-s-assorted-baklava-selection-

Jallab from My ja was under four pounds but about six pounds shipping, total just under ten pounds.

£3.32
Shipping
£6.49
Total
GBP£9.81

Please share links to your favourite posts.

.  

No comments: