Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Dessert Delights & Free Cookie Cutters For Your Xmas Tree Cake Top

Delicious desserts at the ADELPHI HOTEL - a tiny paragraph in the Daily Telegraph newspaper alerted me to this hotel in Melbourne, a city I visited some time ago. I remember it's long restaurant street with lots of Italian style restaurants and touts outside every door tempting you with offers of a free drink, free dessert, two for the price of one, ten per cent off. Now something even more tempting. A dessert bar.

In a hotel with a dessert theme. Bar stools like liquorice. Candy patterns on the carpet. Toffee apples on check-in.

Popcorn in bedrooms. A macaroon at turn-down time.

The hotel is a local landmark with a glass bottom swimming pool jutting out over the street.

I tracked down the hotel website on Tripadvisor and saw the photos by visitors. Finding the hotel's own website was surprisingly challenging, as I kept trawling down websites which wanted to book me a table.

Finally I found the hotel:

adelphi.com.aus

Then I found the restaurant with the menu and pictures of the desserts.
http://omnom.kitchen

One of the offerings is a variation on the French religieuse, or nun. A kind of snowman, or rather snow woman, made of profiteroles with a ruff of cream, which I had seen at a restaurant show in London. (Mentioned in an earlier post by me.)

Unfortunately I am unlikely to get to Melbourne in the near future, not for Xmas. But what can one do at home?

If you want inspiration for making your own desserts, sandwiches or a child's lunchbox, check out Grace Hall's creations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-2610244/Packed-lunches-look-good-eat-Creative-mother-turns-picky-sons-lunchboxes-works-art.html

For special occasion birthdays, I like the cakes in Jan Asher's book.

Christmas/Hanukah cookie cutters
Getting ready for Christmas, I just bought two copies of Essentials magazine number Xmas issue from a Tesco Express in order to get the metal cookie cutters.
One set consists of a Christmas tree, six pointed wiggly edge star, and bell. The other set has a five pointed straight sided star, an angel (I thought it was a gingerbread man until I looked closer) and a J shape candy cane.


A six point star was on a mince tart at the end of the set meal at the Civil Service Club Xmas dinner.

The Xmas cutter will do for cutting biscuits or sandwiches. I plan to use if for icing shapes to stand up or lie flat on a fruit cake with a white icing top.

More Cutters From Morrisons
For only £1 in Morrisons you can get three large cookie cutters with a seasonal them in red plastic. The designs I was for three: Xmas tree, star, and another.


Chocolate Moulds
If you want to make something more elaborate, you can buy chocolate moulds for hearts and other shapes from China online from Ebay or in the UK from Lakeland (online and various branches including one in Watford. Lakeland has sets of mould for making your own chocolates and a larger mould for a train.

Back to where we started: The desert restaurant in the dessert hotel:

Adelphi Hotel

187 Flinders Lane 

Melbourne 

Victoria 

VIC 3000

Australia
Ph: (+61) 3 8080 8827
omnom@adelphi.com.au

Lakeland has 68 stores in the UK with a kinds of gifts and gadgets for the kitchen and home.
www.lakeland.co.uk/StoreLocator

No comments: