Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Imperial Wharf walk and see the City Swimming Pool Exhibition At Gallery and Riverside Walk


Imperial Wharf station is surrounded by ultra-modern buildings. 



Opposite the exit on one side is the Roca London Gallery. I'd managed to walk past it twice or more going to or from the station, then on my way back to the station I stopped, camera phone in hand, and thought, that's unusual. My first thought was that it was a swimming pool, my second that it was an art gallery with an exhibition about swimming pools. I had to rush on because I was meeting family at a nearby station. Later I looked up their website and discovered more about the building itself and the exhibition on city centre and water-based swimming pools. 

The Roca London Gallery Building
I discovered that the building is by an award winning architect. 

The City Swimming Pools
The online photos show swimming pools placed permanently or temporarily with adjacent to river banks or like picture frames in the middle of a river with a water top curving path giving pedestrian access. The frame presumably give clean water, keeps out debris, and passing river craft, or those who have not paid to enter, as well as offering a frame of trees, the illusion of a tropical oasis,   


Urban Plunge - ideas for swimming pools within rivers in London and other cities worldwide.

http://www.rocalondongallery.com/en/building

Opposite the gallery is a Tesco Express well stocked with sandwiches and a salad bar and a good selection or orchids in pots if you are looking for a gift. For the man or woman who has everything - a blue orchid? Anybody want to buy me a present? 

If you have more time and money to spend, next door is the upmarket H & H cafe, which an acquaintance informed me is owned by Tesco. A member of my family took exception to the air conditioning in the cafe so I haven't yet tried it. But the £1 egg sandwich in Tesco seemed very good value.
Venture down the nearby complex and you'll find fountains and waterside dining and see buildings reflected in the river.


No comments: