Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Castle pub lunch at Harrow-on-the-hill

The sign outside shows you that the castle is a chess piece, that sort of castle, not the crenellated castle I had imagined from the name. Inside you won't find any sign of chess.




However, one room has clocks. As far as I could tell the clocks were purely decorative, all telling different times - and stopped.





The pub is on a corner of the slope near the summit of Harrow on the hill, just a few beet below the landmark triangle by the former King's head pub. At the other end of the street above is the famous Harrow School which Churchill attended. The pub has a famous quotation from Churchill on the wall of the back room.

The quotation is correctly attributed.
Lady Astor: "Winston, if I were you're wife I'd put poison in your coffee."
Winston Churchill: "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

Interesting menu features unusual items such as two dishes with Halloumi, Greek cheese, as well as more familiar food such as fish and chips. We waited an hour for our hot food.  I think the staff should have sent olives or nuts or suggested we order a cold starter to share whilst waiting. Despite all those clocks, or perhaps because the clocks were stopped, the place did not have a strong sense of time.

I did not like the black on my bap. I think food cooked until it turns black causes cancer (which is what the cancer websites say). But another diner thought the bap was fine. He happily finished off what I left.

After our complaints about the wait, they did offer money back on the food (not the drinks we'd had whilst waiting). This mollified our large group, from three local clubs, for writers and readers, who are happy to go back and try the food and service again.

As the author of two books of quotations, I think fondly of any pub which has quotations on the walls.

My two books of quotations are:
Quick Quotations For Successful Speeches.
Who Said What When?

No comments: