Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Winter Wine Tasting At St Andrew's Church, Fulham

I'd been to a wine tasting at St Andrew's Church previously, in the gallery room overlooking the church. What I had not expected was for the entire church to be turned into a wine tasting venue. Why not? Using the body of the church for an event including sales stands, food and drink seems increasingly popular all over London. It bring local people and people from further away into the church and uses the building at time when it would otherwise be empty to raise funds for the church or a charity it supports.

The only disadvantage of this church as a wine-tasting venue was the low level of lighting. Apparently on a sunny day the place can be quite bright from natural light through the windows. But on an overcast day we were all in shadow, despite a few overhead lights. This was not good for wine tasting. The previous day I had been on the WSET level one course where one of the first things you learn is that before you sniff or taste the wine you check its colour. That tells you the age of the wine, if the wine is off, the probable strength of flavour, as well as whether you like the colour, anticipating that the wine is, for example, too white and insipid, young and sharp, or a rich red suggesting more flavour but more tannins to dry the mouth.

We had a festive welcome from Jimmy Smith, master organiser, in a Santa hat.  Beth, checking those opting for the two tastings, wore a reindeer hat.

The event entry cost £25 each. I had wondered why I was paying for people to try to sell me wine.
However, it was enormous fun, crowded and convivial.

Lots of wines to taste and free crackers.

On one stand I was offered olives which I tried. Small black or dark green. Try both. The green ones had pepper stuffing, they told me - too late. As I coughed and my eyes ran, they told me a useful tip. Eating a breadstick helps alleviate the symptoms.

Upstairs in the gallery we paid £5 each for a tutored wine tasting, then for a second session. The money went towards a charity supported by the church who offer food to the homeless, if I understand right from the Church website, once a week, all day on Saturday.




The most surprisingly funky wine bottle label is the one with Sex, Drugs, & Rock and Roll on the label. When you stop to read it, you realise the words are crossed out and underneath it says, just Riesling for me, thanks!




If you want to attend a wine course, Jimmy Smith organises several at other venues, plus some wine tastings here at the church.


No comments: