Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, March 19, 2015

French words of the day: elan; quelle surprise, venue - and the value of an etymological dictionary

The actor performed with great elan at the new venue. Quelle surprise!

elan - stylish vigour
quelle surprise - what (a) surprise
venue - location for an event

Usually I know enough French not to need to check most words in a French-English dictionary, but can rely on Google translate.

I was going to add the word swathe to my list - the ending of e fooled me. When I looked for an etymological dictionary - I selected Chambers English dictionary - I discovered the word is not of French origin at all. Swathe belongs in a post on Germanic languages - and those derived or related including Dutch and Scandinavian and Viking.

An etymological dictionary gives you the origin of the word. 

No comments: