Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Keeping diary records of trips

Buy a new notebook or diary for each trip just for notes.

HOME DIARY
You could still write the basics of your diary in a small diary, or large desk diary left back at your office/home/study, listing your location, including your home destination, even if it's obvious. Then by default you can easily check which days you are overseas on one big trip or several small ones.

PASSPORTS
If you ever need to make an insurance claim, or check or pay a hotel bill, you can then glance back at your small regular diary. Another way of checking travel dates, which I used for writing my autobiography, after writing my late uncle's biography, is to check passports.

For example, Jan 1 London, England. (On long trips, with several destinations or many means of transport, I often leave my pocket home diary at home to guard against losing it, leaving it behind, losing it in a stolen jacket, handbag stolen. After losing my diary one year, mislaying it constantly, I like to be sure I don't lose my desk diary overseas.

CALENDARS AND HOTEL STAY RECORDS
Some people have a kitchen calendar at home. But that tends to get thrown away. A diary can be kept, especially if it is small. You can keep a dozen or more in a shoe box labelled diaries. Then when you write a biography or simply need the name of the hotel where you stayed three years ago, it's easy to locate.

I like to keep a diary record at the front of a travel notebook. How to create a travel notebook, next post.

Angela Lansbury BA Hons Travel writer and photographer, author, speaker.


No comments: