Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, July 24, 2015

Landmarks in Novels


Travel writing needs updating constantly as hotels, restaurants and attractions open and close and change their names locations and phone numbers. I thought that if I gave up travel writing and stuck to novels set in the past, starting at least a century ago, the research would by much easier.

My first mistake with my historical novel was with the statue of liberty. I had my hero in 1880 getting off the boat from Euopre to the grand view of the statue of liberty. Only one problem. He couldn't see it. Except on paper. It has not yet been built.

See my previous post about landmarks in novels.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3172264/Is-ultimate-holiday-read-New-travel-book-uses-GPS-adapt-plot-include-nearby-landmarks.html

Angela Lansbury, author, travel writer, photographer, speaker.

No comments: