Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Learning Languages, just for fun: Italian through cookery demonstrations

The brothers who learned 11 languages and others like them recommend that you don't just learn languages but practise them daily and immerse yourself in the language in your favourite activities. I just by chance found some recipes demonstrated by Italian cooks.

The first video I found was on Facebook and was silent and showed how to extract juice from watermelon. I shared it and watched it again. I was then tempted to seek out others from the same website. I found a recipe for potatoes. Up popped the ingredients in English. Accompanied by the commentary in Italian.

On Facebook you can translate the comments and the videos into your language from another language. But on the Italian site I wanted to hear how the words were pronounced. It was obvious that sale was salt.

Here is the link the recipe I watched.
http://video.agrodolce.it/prime-uve-mixology-giro-del-mondo/

Italian - English
Your first ten words:
sale - salt
burro - butter
del - of (the)
e - and
mondo - world
dolce - sweet
patate - potato
pesce - fish (as in Pisces)
salute - cheers
tonno - tuna

Angela Lansbury B A Honours, travel writer, author, speaker.

No comments: