Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, July 6, 2015

Browning's Poem on England and other UK songs and poems

I just updated my previous post, from yesterday. I now have the title of the poem, the first line, the dates of Browning and the link to the whole poem. I thought it was Oh to be in England now that Spring is here. However, it turns out to be April. Strange how some lines just remain in your mind, remembered, half remembered, mis-remembered, for years.

Several poems and songs refer to London, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland.
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner.
It's a long way to Tipperary. (Which is in Ireland.)
You take the high road and I'll take the low road and I'll be in Scotland before ye ...
If you're Irish come into the parlour.
When Irish eyes are smiling.
... in England's green and pleasant land.

All good songs to sing in the car or on a coach journey. If you are organising group or family travel, you might like to look up local songs and print off the words or download the music.

The Great War, now known as WWI, is being commemorated in the UK and Europe, a four year programme. As a result, books, poems and songs from that era are widely seen or heard or available if you search.

I have previous posts on songs, poems and quotations about the UK, USA and other countries. Please link to my posts or forward them. You can also follow me here or see more on Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube and my other blog posts on quotations.

Angela Lansbury, B A Honours, travel writer, photographer, author, speaker.

No comments: