Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

How to find favourite posts, fill in a week's travel posts and delay posting

I accidentally put up a blank post. Ten people appeared to have 'read' it. Without a title, what would cause anybody to open it? Of course they could have opened it out of curiosity and found nothing. Or was it spammers and search engines?

If anybody does open a post on which I have put a title, but being in a hurry, I published immediately, instead of saving the headline as a draft, they will see the page surround which shows links to my previous posts. The most popular or most recent ones appear first. So although they cannot see a new post, at least they can see links to several of the popular posts.

When I first edited the post surround, I was a little disappointed that the previous posts' links now appeared at the top of the page, instead of in a column on the right, as previously. That delayed the reader in reaching the headline and first line of my new post. The space might be annoying for those who read on a mobile phone's small screen.

A check on the statistics of my readers showed that the majority were not reading on a small screen mobile phone but on a large screen. So I could ignore the mobile phone users. Or could I? Should I? I am very fond of pointing out to myself and others that ten percent is the difference between profit and loss, the difference between being top and second in any kind of competition.

So now I am careful. My next job is to create a delayed post system, to create seven finished posts on Sunday, with delayed and date specific load up though the week, so I am not rushing to post and you can be sure of a new post every morning.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer, author, speaker.

No comments: