Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, July 15, 2024

Prescription Sunglasses and Prescription Goggles - would you need them on holiday or at home?

In Hatch End there are two opticians offering eye tests and spectacle frames and lenses. Hatch End Eyecare, and The Eyecare Studio. If you go further afield around London, to Watford or Harrow, you can find Specsavers, Boots and others. 

I come back back to Hatch End because I know the people and they have a good range of elegant and interesting spectacle frames which I will be wearing every day, so it's important for me to look right.

In Hatch End Eyecare earlier this year I bought a reasonably priced spectacle string holder.


Angela Lansbury wearing prescription varifocals which darken in sunlight. Photo by Trevor Sharot Copyright.

Later I popped into the other opticians and I am grateful to them for introducing me to the idea of sighted goggles.

The Eyecare Studio in Hatch End. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

I wear varifocal glasses. Why? So that I don't need o carry and pay for or lose two pairs of glasses. So I can turn from reading something to looking at my screen in a Zoom meeting To read the bus timetable and then look up at the approaching bus for the bus number.

Why wear the glasses all the time? Because if I take them off, I then have to get my eyes adjusted to wearing them again. 

You can get variable sunglasses which darken in bright sunlight so you don't have to carry or buy a second pair of prescription glasses.

You can also get prescription goggles.

You can buy goggles with the standard off the shelf magnifications like off the shelf reading glasses.

Why would you need this? To look at creatures on the sea bed, underwater. To read signs. to recognize friendly fish and fish foes.

Ask your regular optician who will probably have a leaflet and displays and sample goggles and glasses. And/ or look online.

The idea of prescription goggles is an interesting one. I knew about prescription sunglasses, but until this year I did not know about prescription goggles.

I read the leaflet from Maui Jim.

Maui Jim

Maui is an island in Hawaii. The eight horizontal lines on the flag represent the eight islands.


They are promoted as having anti glare, anti cancer, gold plating and many other advantages, along with a choice of colours and styles.

I looked in Wikipedia and learned more. In fact I felt quite skeptical, verging on suspicious, when I read their brochure.

Brochure Small Print Size

Firstly, I did not find their brochure reader-friendly. I was annoyed that it was in small print, when selling to people who need glasses. Is that to make you think you need glasses! I think it's just the usual way of economizing on paper. Reading online, where you can blow the print up to your preferred size, is easier than reading a printed brochure.

The Company History Revealed

However, when I went onto Wikipedia I felt much more knowledgeable about the company. I became increasingly positive towards the company, and their products.

The company is American. It started in Hawaii, hence the name. According to Wikipedia, it stared with a man selling sunglasses on the beaches of Hawaii. However, it is now third largest company in the world for sunglasses manufacture. Impressive. Successful growth. Major importance. A brand leader.

If money is not object, or health or comfort are your prime concern, these are a must.

Useful Websites

hatchendeyecare.com

www.mauijim.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maui_Jim

Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: