Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, July 12, 2024

Sandeman's Vines, Wines and Souvenirs In Portugal's Port & Wine Region

 


You can't miss the huge letters Sandeman half way up the hillside above you as you take thw road snaking up and down the nearby hillsides on both sides of the river in Portugal.

We drove past it in the morning but when we drove back again in the afternoon I insisted that we stopped. The man in the black cloak with the big hat, their symbol, was ust too aresting and memorable. I knew it would be good. I wanted a hat.

The road is full of ups and down and scary, uncertain moments and so is the visit, We drove to the top. At the entrance door, would we pay for the guided tour. 

No we were not willing to spend the time and money. We had already done ots of wine tours in the region.

But what about looking at the vineyards, and the shop, maybe a coffee.

We went to look for the shop.

We saw a sign pointing down a hisside path through the vineyards.

It went around a corner. another corner. A slippery gravel path. Still no sign of the shop.

 Was it really there? A man coming uphill, who spoke no English insisted yes, shop was there. My husban went on ahead around the next bend. Yes.

A last we found a further comple of buildings. First stop, the shop. I saw the faous Sandeman coat and hat. Near 75 or a hundred Euros. Too much. The hat alone was expensive. SOmethbody dared to pull open a packet and try it on for a photo. 

I tried on the hat. It ws too large for me and too heavy. So no big black hat.

However, the girl on the cash desk was ultilingual, jolly and helfpul. I asked, anyth cheaper clothes or hats. She found me a straw hat. Less than ten puonds. Like a straw trilby. It suited me. It had the sandeman name on a black label. I knew I needed to sew on an black elastic to stop it blowing off. The label said made in China. It was made of paper. Who cares. I loved it.

We wanted coffee. No coffee. They only served wine, port.

What about the restaurant. The restaurant only served three course meals at high prices and dinner time was ending.

Our handy multilingual girl, now our friend after long chats, took us to the restaurant and persuaded the restaurant to serve us coffee. The bill for two double espressos with added taxes and service came to the best part of 20 Euros which my husand thought was excessive.

But we had the esperience of sitting in the restaurant. We got coffee.

All in all,  good experience.

No comments: