Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

I Spy A Spider - What Next - A Cockroach on Camera?



Problem
A spider.

Answer
It's not a problem if you have a camera. In fact, far from trying to get away, or moving it, your main aim is to get as close as possible.

Mobile Phone Cameras
I took this picture with a mobile phone. My phone is the one I bought after trying out three mobiles of different sizes (and prices) in the shop, taking something at a distance, comparing results to see if the extra money made a difference.

Our other more recent experiment was to see whether two phones, one for the UK, one for overseas, had the same results, or if one was better. The phone with the larger screen did not have the best camera. So, with a choice of two mobile phones, you might gain best results using the large screen mobile as a phone, but the one with the better camera on days when you expected to take photos.

Story
When I saw the spider, I called the family photographer with the tripod and the patience, (the introvert) to take a close up picture.

Looking at the spider on a big screen, I am amazed how colourful is our spider. What looks like black and white from a distance, close up the legs are oblongs of orange and brown as well as black and white. And so many hairs on the legs!

Where are the face, the eyes?

On a day when you are stuck at home working, still a chance to get great photos, in Singapore birds on the aloe vera on the balcony, geckos.

Maybe next time I shall try to treat 'my' visiting cockroach like my spider.

I can send somebody else in with a spray and a tripod, and view it at a safe distance, on the screen.

PS
I have tried to identify this spider. It looks a bit like a Garden Centre Spider.

This is a British spider.

http://www.uksafari.com/garden_centre_spiders.htm
Their first page shows you several spiders to help you identify yours.

If you prefer a bigger spider for your photographs, go to Australia. We had a spider the size of a tulip in the bathroom at Margaret River, Australia.

As for cockroaches, in Singapore, when I called an Texan American to see what I thought was a shockingly large cockroach, she shrugged. She commented:
We've got bigger ones in Texas.

AUSTRALIA office tourist board site:
https://www.australia.com/en-us

SINGAPORE
http://www.visitsingapore.com/en/

UK
visitbritain.com

USA
visittheusa.com
https://www.visittheusa.com/state/texas

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Teacher of English and other languages.  Please read my other posts about Singapore, the UK, photography, destinations and languages. Share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: