Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, August 25, 2017

Luxembourg Cremant - a super first sniff - wine of the week



Where is a picture of my white wine which we took to the BYO restaurant? This is the red. I was too busy talking with friends to take a photo of the wine.


Vintage Roasada. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.


Freixenet Excelencia Cava. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.


Problem
So many sparkling wines.

My favourites this week:

Tuesday at the BYO restaurant. Luxembourg cremant. Spell check turns c r e m a n t into c e m  e n t !

Luxembourg - who would have thought it? Luxembourg! Not a country I associate with great wines, not even with wines at all.

I'm afraid that as usual, the second sniff was not as good as the first, not because the wine had gone off but because one's nose only detects changes and soon becomes immune to smells, whether it's your clothes which need washing, your perfume or your wine.

This has been an exceptional week. We had dinner and wine with three friends on successive evenings, twice at homes and once out at a BYO restaurant.

Today, Friday, we are celebrating and drinking with not with dinner but lunch. The pink looks lovely, but very little aroma. Maybe faint watermelon.

Today for lunch I had pink (rosé Cava). Cava with a capital C because Cava is a registered name.  Cava comes from all over north eastern Spain. Regulations allow it to come from all over Spain, even in small quantities.

Today is a day for celebration. Wine celebration. Sparkling wine celebration. I have no idea where I bought this pink sparkling wine. The year is 2012 but it would not have been sold then, not released until later. I wish I had kept a record. Back in 2014, 2015, I was not so careful.

Nowadays we are meticulously keeping records of where we bought every bottle of wine. Then we know where to go back, which shop, which vineyard, which label, which grape, what we like best and where to find a replacement bottle.

Wine and chocolate celebration.

I go back to the last few sips of Cava.

My pink wine tastes sour after eating a chocolate. The phrase 'all things are relative' comes to mind.

Author
Angela Lansbury, author and speaker. I have several more posts on wine and wineries and travel to Spain and Italy. Please share links to your favourite posts.


No comments: