Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Sakonis Vegetarian Indian Food - Superb Addition To N W London

Problem
Where can you take friends who are halal, vegetarian, kosher, teetotallers or on a budget?

Answer
Sakonis Vegetarian restaurant in Hatch End.
Extensive list of drinks. This pink drink is Faluda, rose flavour and aroma. I had previously had this in Singapore. If don't want ice cream added; I must remember to say no ice cream next time. I ordered it as a pre-dinner drink. My companions looked at me and my drink with amazement. Why have you ordered dessert? Make sure you are ordering a drink suitable for starter. I didn't think to ask and they didn't think to tell me. An alternative would be chair (tea).



The counter at the back has sweets on the top level.


Post a selfie with your food and make sure you tag us, says the placemat. 

Cutlery and copious supply of white paper napkins in a container on the table. Glasses are in the blue theme. You can't see if the glass is clean or the colour of your drink but this is for water and I like the colour.


Gold colour cutlery. I turned it over the see what is was. The brand is Utopia. It is eighteen something or other which is the thickness of the plating, usual for restaurant quality. 

(Years ago I bought some cutlery which was not this standard and it went rusty in my dishwasher and if left to dry rather than being wiped straight away. But wiping with a new towel risks adding germs and takes time so I like my glasses and cutlery to drip dry. it was years before I found out that the rust was not caused by the dishwasher but because my Viners cutlery was not the durable higher quality which costs more.)


This is the faluda. Lurid pink. The little globules are semolina or something, which I used to find odd tasteless and yucky, but oddly with the whole mix they add bulk and seem to go down well.

Something string shape, adds interest. I have to say the whole combination is good. But I must remember to drink water and not gulp it down, but take it slowly to enjoy the rose flavour.

Samosas were spicy. 'The triangular ones' said somebody who is not familiar with Indian food. 
Those who don't like spicy food (three of our party of four) found them too spicy. The one who liked spicy food was happy.

The potato balls were the favourite of the three of us who liked non spicy food. They came in portions of three. We had asked for four and the person who took the order asked for this on our behalf but it never happened. We managed to divide one between two. This requires goodwill from diners towards management and between diners and fellow diners. 

I am not a fan of crisps on health grounds. However, if you like crisps these are good. Not potato but something else.

Yes, I was very happy with my food.

The staff seemed very happy too.

This is the eggless cheesecake. The menus said strawberry and they asked if I was ok with nuts. Yes, I'm not allergic to nuts, in fact I love nuts. This seemed to have a mini Ferrero Rocher ball on top.  Unexpected vanilla ice cream. Oh dear. More calories and more sugar. I suppose you need it to counteract the chocolate. We were not hungry.


This is what Sakonis looks like after dark, bright inside at night.
All photos in this post by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

The mango dessert was too sweet for one of our group who wanted an unsweetened fruit dessert. If you are diabetic or health conscious stick to the main courses. Not so good for fruitarians, dieters or people allergic to nuts. But excellent for vegetarians and anybody wanting to try something new. totally different from Britain's ubiquitous (that means found everywhere) curry houses. 

A bill for four people including three non-alcoholic drink and four desserts would be about £60 including the 12 (and a half?) % 'optional' service charge.  You can pick up a take away menu from the table by the door (on the left on entering) or look on line. On line they don't show the drinks and desserts so the paper menu is handy. 

Will I be going back? Yes, definitely. I am a lapsed dieter.

Tips
www.sakonis.co.uk
http://www.utopia-tableware.com/cutlery-care-advice The Utopia cutlery website page explains the different numbers and the care needed for different types of cutlery.
Author:
Angela Lansbury, freelance travel writer and photographer, blogger. (I have several blogs, this one on travel worldwide including destinations, restaurants, attractions, trails of famous people and learning languages, others on giving speeches and assorted subjects if you are looking for amusement, entertainment and information.) Please share the links to your favourite posts.

No comments: