Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The Scottish Pound And My Problems

Problems
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland currently (August 2017) consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. A Scottish note or coin is valid currency in England. Unfortunately, as Michael Caine said as a character in a film: "Not a lot of people know that."

I accidentally brought back a Scottish pound. I went into my nearest mini market or convenience store as Americans would say. I joined a long queue (line up as Americans would say, and when I came to pay hoped the rushed cashier would not notice. The Indian (or Pakistani) assistant looked at it, and me, with suspicion.

"It's not English money," he said.
"It's Scottish. It's valid currency," I assured him.
"Just a minute," he said, "wait here," and he walked off.

I wondered if he was phoning the police. Should I make a run for it?

Not a good idea. I had a lot of shopping. I wanted to shop nearby regularly.  Brazen it out.

The assistant came back with the manager. I went through my speech again. I finished, "You can look it up on the internet. "

The manager looked at the increasing queue. The people in the queue were frowning at him and at me. They were probably thinking, Hurry up, Sir. Make up your mind. Either arrest her or tell her to leave.

I said, "You can give it to another customer. Or take it into the bank, two doors along."

I thought, "Come to think of it, I could take it into the bank, two doors along."

Tips
www.Visitscotland.com

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: