Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

UK Roman and Greek Statues and Sites: Caractacus, Londoninium and Hadrian

Problem
Where can I visit Roman sites?

Answers:
Roman sites to see:

If you are starting in London, England. look no further. It was called Londinium.

Story
You will notice that I specify London, England. That is because when I left the USA to live in London, England, several people wrote to me in London, without adding England to the address on the envelope, and my letters arrived months later via London, Canada, with envelopes with hand written notes, Not Known Here, Try London, England.

I also check the statistics of my readership every day, in fact several times a day, sometimes several times an hour. Often I have a large number of readers in the USA and Canada.

UK
London Wall, London.
London Museum, London. (Go to the Barbican or Moorgate tube station to see the London Museum. Best travel by London's underground train service. See Google maps.)

British Museum, London. (You may find long queues on busy days in high season if there's an exhibition. Check the situation on queues and prices and combined tickets before setting off.)

Up north
Hadrian's Wall. Several sites along the border of England and Scotland, such as Vindolanda which has a good museum. Best travel by car, unless you are a keen hiker and walker. The thing I remember most from Vindolanda was buying a postcard showing the Romans all sitting over holes in one long toilet seat.

Caractacus
A favourite song which I hear when I go to Swanwick Writers Summer School, is about Caractacus. (I remember the chorus and endless repetitions of "just walking by"). I had never thought about whether he was Greek or Roman or British or mythological or a real person or when he lived.

I was amazed, amused and delighted to find a link to an article in the Independent revealing to me that Caractacus and his entourage were involved in the Roman conquest of Britain, basically involving a British lady who decided to switch sides and join the Romans.

WALES
Roman Museum at Caerleon. (Nearest big city, Newport.) Not far across the bridge from England to Wales. Toll on bridge one way, paid going into Wales. Take the toll receipt and check the back of the receipt for discount offers on local attractions and/or food and drink.

The Roman museum at Caerleon is my all time favourite. (Jointly with Vindolanda.) The things I remember is that excavators found rings, coins and other items dropped into the toilet system. I can imagine the person who lost the item wondering where it had gone. (I feel the urge to write a short story set in Roman times, about somebody who drops a ring down the toilet system, accuses a friend or enemy of stealing it, kills them, goes on the run. Years later their descendant is an archaeologist who finds it. I wonder if I could tell it from the ring's point of view, or the point of view of two matching rings.)

Tips
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/royal-sex-scandal-roman-empire-yorkshire-discovery-a7671171.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Britain

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: