Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, August 13, 2017

See Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre Settings - and Eat Bakewell Tart

Problem
Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen, - two of Britain's favourite authors and the world's. Where can I see Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre settings?

Answers
Driving to Derbyshire
Drive up the M1 to Derbyshire. I left lunch at lunch time and arrived by tea time. Despite a delay at Bushey Arches, plus two go slows on the motorway, caused by road minor accidents.

Pride and Prejudice - Chatsworth.
One of my favourite houses. Years ago by good luck I met the late owner who was feeding her chickens.
You can visit the house or just the gardens and the shop.

The designer of the gardens, Sir Joseph Paxton, 1803-1865, also designed London's Crystal Palace. A blue plaque installed by Derbyshire County Council says he lived at Barbrook House from 1845-1865.

Jane Eyre - Haddon Hall. (Also a setting in The Other Boleyn Girl.)

Both are in the same area.

If you don't eat on the motorway or at either of these two places, you might like to stop at Bakewell, home of the Bakewell tart or pudding, my all time favourite dessert for tea time or after lunch or dinner.

I had a wonderful Bakewell pudding at a conference. I could not get the recipe. Another conference goer who claimed to have gone to school with one of the chefs said he would find out. He told me it was made from a catering mix supplied only in wholesale quantities to the trade.

I looked up the recipe and found it dated back to the earliest cookbooks. You can choose which grade of almonds and what proportion of almonds and sugar. We made it and it was so good - different every time, but never as good as the one I had had at the conference in Derbyshire.

More information from:
www.derbyshiredales.gov.uk
www.visitbritain.com

Author, Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share your favourite posts.

No comments: