Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Idaho ho ho's potato novelties, dogged dog hotel and cleaning museum



Idaho is called the gem state. Its motto is in perpetuity. They are expecting a partial eclipse Aug 21 2017 and you can read about it on the state website. What else amazing or amusing is in Idaho-ho-ho?

Problem
I've been everywhere, almost everywhere I actually want to go. What else can I put on my wish list, whilst I am still healthy enough in mind and body to travel?

Where can I be guaranteed to get potatoes? America. Yay! I remember going to places which served steak and a baked potato in its jacket, one standard dish for a reasonable price. Before the advent of potato wedges. (I'm so fed up with rice in Asia and pizza and pasta and bread in London. In Asia you could only eat potatoes smothered in unhealthy taste-killing curry. As for potato salad - yuk. )
1 Why go to Idaho?
2 Where to go in Idaho?

Answers
1 Makes a change. Never been there before. I like potatoes.

2 At least three novelties like nowhere else:
Potato Museum with novelties (Idaho Potato Museum).
Dog shape hotel. I like dogs. I don't have dogs, because I travel a lot. But I find them cute and friendly. I like novelty hotels, preferably clean hotels.
Museum of Clean. Yup, that's me.

Details
Idaho Potato Museum
Great Amusements and Great Buys In The Gift Shop
I went straight to the shop. What can I buy? A book of recipes, with the cover and the book itself potato shape. Playing cards - potato shape!

Then I checked out the cafe. You can eat baked potatoes in their jackets but must order two hours in advance. So I presume that's a proper potato, an old fashioned potato, not a microwave imitation.You can also eat baked potato cupcake and baked potato ice cream.

I hope they washed the potatoes before cooking them. I am rather fussy about cleanliness. So, let's move on to -

The Museum of Clean
The first amusement is the entrance in the shape of a washboard.  Inside you'll find all kinds of brooms and vacuum cleaners. Expect tips on cleaning carpets. Novelties: - the soldier's use of his helmet for washing.

Great Amusements and Great Buys in The Gift Shop
Yes, they do have a shop. It's not on the website's main menu bar but a sub-section on about the museum. Novelties for all ages include novel ties. For fun-loving families and fathers, a washboard tie which plays music. For clean children - a bath tub for a teddy bear!

The Dog Shaped Hotel
One reason I am cautious about fulfilling my dream of owning a dog is the idea of cleaning up dog poo. However, the dog shape hotel was what caught my eye when an email came in from the tourist promotion people. The email sat in inbox for several hours and I could not bear to move it without reading it. That memorable picture survived several email culling attempts which reduced my inbox from nearly a hundred emails to under forty. (I aim at ten.)

The main attraction is the shape of the place - like an upright standing on four legs dog.

What else is memorable? In the bedroom, dogs carved across the headboard.

This amusing accommodation is small. It sleeps only four.

Absolute novelty. How much and are they fully booked?

What I don't know is, er, um, hate to say this, but where is Idaho? I went to Wikipedia, then took a short cut to simple wikipedia. On the map, Idaho's outline looks like a drunken triangle, leaning left towards the west coast, with its tip cut off by Canada.

Practical Details
Dog Bark Park in - Beagle bed and breakfast.

Other Accommodation
Only three hotels in Blackfoot, going up to three stars; more in Idaho Falls, again the highest rated was 3 stars. However, with one hotel offering a free shuttle to the airport, an indoor swimming pool and a business centre, sounds good to me.

What else is there in Idaho? Waterfalls, geysers, hot springs, water parks, skiing, birds of prey, outdoors activities and events. Trips and trails include visiting ghost towns and silver mines, whisky wine and beer producers.

https://visitidaho.org/trip-guides/10-wildest-wines-beers-spirits-idaho/

Further reading
Websites:
https://idahopotatomuseum.com

Idaho Potato Museum
130 Northwest Main Street
Blackfoot, ID 83221 USA.

ID does not mean identity. It is short for Idaho.
Email: Info@IdahoPotatoMuseum.com


More websites:
https://visitidaho.org

Books
Only In America

I hope to see Idaho at World Travel Market and make a trip to visit the state, soon. I shall put them on my list of New Year Resolutions. Visit Idaho.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: