Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Learning Hebrew with Duolingo, Hebrew Alphabet song, Hebrew Keyboard

I started learning Hebrew with Duolingo. It is still in the Beta stage. That's the experimental stage when you can try it out and give them feedback so they can iron out problems.

Foreign Alphabets
I had been getting along fine with the Russian on Duolingo, but was stuck on the first lesson of the Hebrew, although I already knew many of the Hebrew letters.

The first thing I did with Russian was to copy out the letters and stick the guide in the back of my diary. I shall now do this with the Hebrew.

Reciting Alphabets
I can recite the Hebrew alphabet, but it's all a bit jumbled: aleph bet (vet), gimal dalet, hay vuv, zayin... kalph lamed, mem nun, pay Fay, tsadick, coo-f, raiy-sh, shin, samech ay-in, tough ...

Alphabet Songs
In English we have a song for the alphabet.
ABCDEFG (ay bee see dee ee e f f gee
HIJKLMNOP (aitch i jay kay - el-em en-oh pea
QRSTUV queue ah ess tea you vee
WXY Zee double yew ex why zee.

Maybe there's a song for the Hebrew alphabet sung in English of course.
aleph bet vet gim-al duv
..... shin t u v or something like that.

Well - what do you know - would you believe it, there are several on Youtube. Here's the first one I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCzoTs1AdE

Installing The Hebrew Keyboard For Windows
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17424/windows-change-keyboard-layout

Installing The Hebrew Keyboard For Mac

If you're using Mac: Open System Preferences. Click the International button. Click "Input Menu". Scroll down until you see Hebrew, then put a check next to it. Put a check next to "Show input menu in menu bar". To change the language to Hebrew when you type, click on the American flag on the top right of the menu bar, and then choose Hebrew.
Virtual keyboard: https://www.branah.com/hebrew

Here's a site which teaches you the Hebrew letters of the alphabet and the vowels.
http://www.cartoonhebrew.com/hey

1 I had already downloaded the Hebrew alphabet. So now when I click on the small UK flag up pop several other alphabets I have chosen to use.

The problem is, I don't know where the Hebrew letters are under the QWERTY keyboard.

I am looking for an answer which I shall upload shortly.

I have found one website which shows the Hebrew letters and I have printed it. I can stand it up beside my keyboard. The theory is that you toggle or press escape and the Hebrew will come up, click a second time and then go back to qwerty.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author, speaker, language teacher.

No comments: