Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, July 1, 2016

Asking For Freebies

Asking For Items
I never take things from hotels. I wouldn't want to spoil my day with the worry and guilt nor upset the staff with the feeling that somebody had stolen something. They might even get blamed for theft or expected to pay for the missing item.

I ask housekeeping by phone or or room cleaner in the bedroom or corridor if I like something. Sometimes if you want something such as a sewing kit, they bring you one, even if its only for the suites and you are in an ordinary room.

They or you may think they deserve a tip. If you are in America, where the room cleaners are tipped and leave a note with their name, you may feel that any gift deserves an extra tip or that you deserve a gift in exchange for the tip.

If none of this happens, at check out, with my cases packed, I can go to reception holding the item I want, whether it's a pen or pair of towelling slippers or whatever. I can ask them to check with housekeeping whether they throw the items away or wash them or have spares. I can say if they don't mind replacing it from stock but want to make a charge I'd like to know what the price to me would be it is.

Even if two times out of three they say that they need the item, that's ok, you are saved the embarrassment of being caught. The one time they laugh and say, 'Take it!', you can go off happily with your free gift with profuse thanks and smiles all around.

Angela Lansbury, author and travel writer and English language teacher.

No comments: