Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, July 28, 2016

A Poem About Fishguard Bay And Seagulls In Wales

I've revised my poems. Here they are with another verse.

The Invention of The Pop Up Toaster
by Angela Lansbury

For centuries the world would bake
Buns and teacakes loved by most
But when King Alfred burned the cakes
And many people burned the roast

Somebody thought a small machine
Could cook pieces of small toast

At last a toaster came along
Transforming every cup of tea
At first in Scotland after porridge
In eighteen hundred and ninety three

By nineteen eighteen toast popped up
The patent of the smart Charles Strite
His invention still pops up toast
For breakfast or your snack at night.

I wrote three poems, but I have only two, for reasons which will become clear from Poem 2:

Birds By the Bay of Fishguard
Song by Angela Lansbury

By the sunlit bay of Fishguard
Trains trundled in by cars so brave
Some crossed the rough seas to Ireland
Took daily ferries facing waves.

In the bar, we writers watched them
Writing poems full of sharp wit
Scribbling stories, plotting novels
In the bar, sipping wine we'd sit.

One seagull swooped down to the terrace
Seeking food, looked cute at me
But the damned bird grabbed my poem
Flew my wise words out to sea

And now it's perched on a lamp post
And I'm sure that you'll all agree
Don't anyone dare feed that greedy bird
That's cawing, laughing at me.

Qwar! Qwar! Qwar! Qwar! Qwar!

Copyright 2016
Angela Lansbury
Travel writer and photographer, author, poet, songwriter.

I wrote one two verse poem about writers sitting writing watching the bay, another one verse poem about a seagull. Poetry teacher Alison Chisholm suggested I should have something happening in the poem about the writers. I suddenly had a vision of the seagull stealing the writing, so I combined the two poems.

More about Fishguard Bay Hotel in previous posts. More about author Angela Lansbury in Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Lulu.com, amazon com, and other blogs.

No comments: