Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, March 2, 2019

Which Hotels, Community Clubs And Toastmasters Clubs Provide Free Water and Fruit?



Singapore is tropical, hot all year. Even if you are in air-conditioning, a few minutes sitting outdoors or walking to the nearest train station of bus station makes you perspire and feel hot and in need of refreshing water. 'I'ts only ten minutes walk, and the bus won't be here for another ten minutes: said Mr Lim as we were on our way to a speech contest. I told myself it was good for my health to walk.

By the time I arrived I was thirsty. It's only now, days later, looking back, that I realise why. Walking around in the heat dehydrates you. In the USA water is provided free in many places. In Singapore you have to look for it and ask for it. You visit an office and they have a free water dispenser in their kitchen. But they don't tell you. Besides, after giving up your passport or identity card at the security gate, and you don't feel you don't feel you can wander about and help yourself to water in the ktichen without being invited to do so.

When I was a speaker and language evaluator at a Toastmasters Club meeting - speaking three times to announce the word of the day, then give a speech, finally give a language evaluation, I appreciated the free water. This was at Kampong Kembangan Community Club, four MRT train stops away from Changi airport.

I made a request in advance for water and fruit. I got the water. Many Community Clubs provide free bottled water at meetings.

I should have asked what kind of refreshments would be provided. I am now making myself a list.



Many groups in Singapore supply buns or green pandan cake. One member told me he though that pandan cake was a relatively healthy option because it contained pandan leaves. Hm. A piece of dry sponge cake? I must admit I later had a moist pandan cake and it was lovely.

'Fake' Carrot Cake?
Watch out for the so-called carrot cake in Singapore. It is not the Western style of cake which tries to be a bit healthier by including moist shredded carrot. It is a kind of white rubbery mini brick.

I always believed in trying everything three times. I have tried it three times and liked it less and less each time. It isn't even orange, but white, with what looks like a fried brown outside. If you are with me at an event, you are welcome to my share of the carrot cake.

Surprises
Of course, some venues change the food and drink at every meeting depending on the size of event and budget, the person ordering, and the caterer. Nonetheless, a few places consistently provide fruit as policy. Others don't. Here's my list:

The star rating is my rating for the supply of fruit and water. Items in brackets not necessarily at every meeting.

Sheraton Hotel - Toastmasters Club of Singapore *****
First, second and third Monday evenings of most months except for public holidays such as Xmas, New Year, Chinese New Year, Easter, Singapore National Day.
Fruit provided. Fee of $20 for visitors includes the fruit, other food, water, usually lemon slices for  you to add to hot water to make your warm lemon tea or cold lemon water, and coffee.
Sheraton Towers Hotel. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.
Sheraton Towers Hotel viewed from gallery where you eat outside the conference room before the meeting and during the interval.

Bukit Timah Toastmasters Club *****
In Bukit Timah Community Club, organizer Jonathan, a previous President of the club, makes a point of providing healthy food, fruit (and nuts), different every time. Make sure he is attending the meeting.

Focus Toastmasters Club *****
Meets in Waterloo Street - allow time to find it and use Bencoolen MRT. Best fruit ever, supplied by Bernice.

Kampong Kembangan *
Free water. Chocolate biscuits. Nut chocolates.

Gemalto Toastmasters Club *
Free water next door to the meeting room in the vending machine area.  I was test speaker and only found out about the water after asking. Pineapple in the pizza.

Koufu, One North MRT
My excursion was redeemed on the way back. Stop for fruit on the way there or on the way home at the Koufu hawker centre (food court) in the basement next to the entrance to the MRT station One North. You can buy assorted fruits for a dollar or less. Not much flavour in the papaya, but so juicy!

Useful Websites
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2122064-you-should-be-eating-10-pieces-of-fruit-or-veg-every-day-not-5/
visitsingapore.com
singaporeair.com

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. I have many more posts on hotels, Community clubs, and Singapore. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: