Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Company Closing! How Personnel Departments In the USA and UK Helped Redundant Staff - please copy


Singapore flag

In Singapore from Tuesday many companies will shut down. Those who can work from home will do so. One friend of mine phoned to say he won't know until Monday whether he has lost his job.


American Flag

AMERICAN HUMAN RESOURCES ACTION
I can tell you what a company in America did, when the whole company went out of business, which was wonderful.

In America what the British call Personnel department is called Human Resources. the American Human Resources had prepared in advance when they saw the company might have to close. On their last week, their last day, they had printing of CVs (resumes) prepared and lists of potential employers who they contacted.

1 The Personnel Department Printed CVs
The last thing the Personenel department did was print the CVs of every employee.

2 Contacting Potential Employers
Personnel contacted  by phone and email every local company on the same industrial estate. We have so many accountants, so many secretaries, so many project managers, so many stationery and resources buyers, so many marketing and PR people. CVs can be supplied and interviews arranged today.

3 Job Opportunity Lists
 Personnel asked for a list of employment opportunities to circulate immediately to the workforce of the company which was shutting.

4 Match Making Empoyers and Employees
Personnel matched up and forwarded the CVs of likely candidates.

5 Updating Status of Soon to be Ex Empolyees
Personnel checked which members of staff were moving house, starting up their own business, no longer seeking work.

6 Daily Newsletter
Personnel started a daily newsletter of job opportunities.

7 Friday Social
They held a Friday night party (this would now have to be online). They congratulated those who had found work and asked them to supply the personnel deparmtent's details and a list of work opportunities. This get together served three functions. People who were out of work did not feel lonely and abandoned but welcome, worthwhile. Morale was raised by success stories. the dwindling list of those needing help and suggestions could tap into the majority who had successfully found work and could provide contacts.

8 Sharing Research
They asked everybody to note who was still looking for work and take a quick look on the interrnet for opportunities.

They noted who was willing to travel or relocate or work online. They noted who was willing to change career and needed new skills and found them quick, cheap courses - and work opportunity lists in the new field.

The marketing department head kept the records of all her department so when she took a new job she could fill vacancies with her old colleagues.


UK Flag

UK Personnel Action
When I lost my job in a copyrwriting company because the company lost an account, on a  Thursday afternoon, the Personnel manager broke the bad news to me in his office. He asked what I would do next. I had no idea. I was completely shattered.

He asked if I had a copy of the marekting magazine which carried a column of job ads including those for copywriters.  I didn't.

He picked up the marketing magazine from his desk, saw an advertisement for a copywriter, circled it, photographed the page for me. I blinked at it.

He took over. He phoned the company. He offered to send them my c.v. He emailed it over.

After giving me my leaving forms for the tax, he phoned them back. He put them on the phone to me. He smiled at me and nodded and  gave me a thumbs up.

He took the tube (undergound) map, from his desk drawer and circled the correct station.

I walked out of the office with a job interview lined up for the next day,  Friday morning. I started my new job on the Monday.  He phoned me to find out what happened. He told everybody in the company that I had left the company and found a new job.

Happy job hunting.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: