Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, April 4, 2022

How To Celebrate A Birthday At The Churchill Room Restaurant, Tanglin Club, Singapore

 


Angela Lansbury at The Tanglin Club, belated birthday lunch. Photo by Trevor Sharot.

We had lunch at The Tanglin Club in Singapore. We had told them on booking that it was my birthday. In case they forgot, I had with me both a home made badge with the words happy birthday stuck over it (which sank to the bottom of my tote bag and got forgotten), and my happy birthday hat from Daiso. It is small enough to pack inside a small handbag. it can be seen by serving staff close up, without causing a distraction to others in a restaurant.

The Happy Birthday Hat
That worked a treat. Firstly, a member of staff wished me happy birthday. 

Later, another member of staff wished me happy birthday, and produced a cigarette lighter and asked if I wanted him to light the candle on my hat. (A joke of course. The candle is fabric.)

By then, I had forgotten that I was wearing it. 

Without prompting they produced a tiny one person cheesecake with a lit candle. Instead of writing the words happy birthday on the plate, as is often done in restaurants, they had a small chocolate oval with the words happy birthday neatly engraved. I imagine they are bought in, boxed in batches, quick to add. 

Gold Board
Under the cake was a small gold covered board. (You get the same sort under smoked salmon, if you ever need one in a hurry. But plan ahead. You may need to wash it and dry it a couple of times to eliminate the fishy smell, and be sure it does not attract insects.

Across the entrance hall is the relaxed tea room where you can order cakes and tea.

Useful Websites

No comments: