Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, April 11, 2022

Slipped discs and posture when travelling

Why Should I Care?

It is painful. You look awful, round-shouldered. You don't want to end up like those elderly people who are C shape. The cost of correcting it is expensive, painful, time-consuming.

What Causes It?

One cause of slipped discs is bad posture. When you are travelling you are often tired. You slump. 

At work, you crouch over a computer. At rest times, your back does not fare better. 

By day, you sit at backless benches in pubs. At night, you read in bed.

Prevention

It is important to sit up straight. I practise by standing against a wall. I choose chairs which have upright backs. I add cushions, when needed. I remember to pull the desk chair under the desk when I am sitting. I adjust the chair so that my feet are on the ground.

When I was a teenager at school, we were taught to stand and to walk around a room with a small book on our head. You hold your head up to stop the book falling.

On Zoom

I look at myself on zoom before I turn on so I can be seen. I check that my eyes are level with the lens of the camera. I sit back in the chair so my back is against the back of the chair.

Alexander Technique

Some people find the Alexander technique helpful. Each part of the body is analysed when you are sitting and standing. Alexander found that posture was affecting his speaking voice.




Advantages of Good Posture

Singing and Breath and Posture

Posture also affects singing. Correct your posture and you can take a deeper breath. If you take a deep breath, you automatically sit or stand straighter.

You can self-analyse by getting each member of the family to photograph the others when they are sitting working or doing homework. Then all analyse all the photos.

Back Support You Can Buy For Chairs

Some people travel with a back support which can be attached to any chair.


Posture Support Clothing

You can also buy back elastic clothing support. It looks like a bra without the cups. A wide X is across the back, fastened over the shoulders and in a waistband above the waist and around from the back to the front.

Some are just shoulder level. Others cover the whole back.

Cures

What are the cures? My friends were told that before an operation, they had to lose weight. A surgical operation will cost time and money.

Prevention is better than cure.

Another reason for collapse of the spine is osteoporosis, spongy bones with holes in them. I knew from more than twenty years ago that I suffered from this condition. 

Useful Websites

Medical Sources

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/slipped-disc

https://singaporespine.org/

Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Technique

Here is just one of many products to show you the idea:

For Chairs

https://www.lazada.sg/products/lumbar-back-support-spine-posture-correction-back-pillow-car-cushion-for-car-truck-seat-office-chair-i1452740408-s6720878325.html

For Wearing

https://www.lazada.sg/products/watson-magnetic-therapy-adult-back-corset-shoulder-lumbar-posture-corrector-bandage-spine-support-belt-back-support-posture-correction-

No comments: