Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, December 14, 2023

Speak Singlish in Singapore, la?

This year, for the first time, the staff on the security check area were chatty and friendly. An official at Singapore's Changi airport's security asked me, 'Where are you travelling?'  
I replied, 'London.'
Hearing my British accent, she asked, 'Going home? Did you have a good holiday?'
I replied, 'Yes, I'm going home to London. But Singapore is also my home, my second home. I am a Singapore Pemanent Resident. I've been here about thirty years.'
We were still waiting for people ahead to get their suitcases and jackets etc through the machine.
She continued, smiling, 'Speak Singlish?'

I tried to think of a reply, using Singlish words.

After a few seconds hesitation, I said, 'No more already, la.'
I could have said, 'Why you ask, Auntie?'

La is a filler word, like um, well. La indicates the end of a sentence.

The verb to be is not used, not needed, in fact verbs are often not needed in Mandarin. The phrase I am a teacher would be I teacher. I am tired would be I tired.  

Singlish - English

already (Direct translation of the Mandarin word already used to indicate past actions ) as in no more already - we have run out, out of stock, discontinued line

because why - because

la - well / um / you see

off day - day off

off the light - turn off the light

over (as in fifty over) - more than (as in more than fifty)

pick you / me at the airport - pick you up at the airport

well come (all syllables have equal emphasis and length with pauses in between) - welcome

I wanted to type, This message is in Singlish, but how would you say that in Singlish. 

Maybe, this message is in Singlish, la

No comments: