Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, December 21, 2023

Warm and safe when walking, my scarf sewn onto a hat

 


Angela Lansbury in DIY hood from combined scarf and hat.

I looked in my cupboard for a hood. I did not find one. I found several sets of scarves and hats to match, and some near matches.

You can buy lots of outfits of hats and matching scarves, sometimes a set of three items with matching gloves. I find the hats tend to ride up and fall off. So do the scarves. One day I looked at the pair and thoought, what a shame they didn't sew the two together. Then I thought, I could do that. I did. It worked well. I spent an afternoon sewing together several sets.

How To Make A White Hood

I sewed a white scarf onto a matching of similar beanie style white hat. This serves several purposes. 

1 Safety

The white is for safety at night to be seen by motorists when I am crossing a road.  A UK pedestrian safety campaign had the rhyming slogan, wear white at night.

2 Preventing Loss of Accessories

Sewing the two items together reduces the chances of leaving one of them behind. It means the two parts of the pair are always together. 

3 Warmth

The scarf sewn on keeps the back of my neck warm, with no gaps. Sewing on the scarf enables me to keep the two sides even. The combination of hat and scarf keeps my ears covered and warm.

Convient and Elegant

 I am not constantly clutching the scarf to stop it slipping off my shoulders. 

Unique

My hat is totally unique. 

Useful Websites

Amazon

Ebay

Etsy

Shein

No comments: