Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Hiding stains on garments when travelling




I was in Singapore during Chinese New Year when the main event is Chinese New Year dinners, Singapore style - called Lo Hei, where you are served a central platter in the middle of a round table and all the diners stand and toss the noodles and coloured ingredients in the air - with the risk of splashing your clothes. One American lady apparently made a fuss because her fine blouse or dress was splattered and needed dry cleaning at high expense with the risk of staining.

The memory of this event has bothered me for years. Whenever I go to an Indian restaurant I wear a scarf which can be washed which I drape across my chest or lap or both. The scarf should protect my dress. Also if my clothes are splashed I can wash them and cover the stain or damp patch with the scarf.

What happens if you get a splash during dinner? The usual answer is to go to the Ladies and wash as soon as possible.

(If you are stuck at the table and can't rush off, for example, because you are listening to the VIP giving a speech, or the groom's speech at a wedding, and somebody else reached for their sparkling wine for the toast and knocked their red wine over you, what do you do?

You might tip some white wine or water into a glass, from their into a coffee saucer, or use a teaspoon to scoop up a little water. Tip the water onto the corner of your white napkin - if all else fails, a white paper tissue from your pocket, a white tissue begged from a bystander, or even a corner of the tablecloth.

For a spot, without wetting a large area, apply with a piece of cotton wool borrowed from hotel reception or a member of your dinner party who is staying at the hotel.

Dry Cleaning
I recently bought an item from Ebay which was advertised as having some small stains on the top and skirt of a dry clean only garment. When it arrived, I made the mistake of trying to spot clean the stains on the skirt.

I knew from previous experience that some dry clean only garments can be hand washed. Providing you start with cold water. Also watch out for the buttons and other appliqué items which might colour run, or would be damaged, or pull off easily and snag so they would not be safe being tossed about in a washing machine nor a tumble drier. The same applies to delicate crochet where a button from one part of the garment, or a zip pull, could catch in a hole and tear the garment.

Washing Disasters
I have also had a silk garment shrink in the wash. (I now have a shrunken top, though the skirt is OK.) I also had a garment with a lining of a different fabric, so the lining shrank at a different rate from the outside. Result, one part shrunk, and seams puckered.

So I thought I'd already learned my lesson on garments which I had bought so cheaply that I considered that after wearing them four or five times I had had my moneys worth already and would risk washing them.

This tine I had a set of four garment, two parts with tiny stains, two on the skirt, four on the top. So I thought, let's try a tiny cold water wash. No use, still stained.

So, I thought, be bolder. Try a bit of soap and rubbing.

However, as soon as I added the water, the rough crepe silk started buckling and creasing, contrasting with the smooth just ironed look of the rest of the skirt. Disaster!

I tried pulling it straight. I would have to wait and see if hanging it upright helped the creasing fall out. Yes, it is just crumpled, not damaged, but looks as if it needs steaming, far too delicate to iron.

If all else failed, I would have to make a dart and sew up the creased fabric.  Luckily it was a fairly full skirt. Enough fabric for the dart. Enough fabric for it to swing about and not notice.

Hiding
A long jacket or coat might cover the skirt when I arrived at my venue. When I was seated nobody would notice what was below knees level. A long scarf could also cover a stain.

On the other hand, It was too nice a garment to wear on any occasion except a grand event where I wanted to look my best, feel my best, and impress.

Sew on Sequins, Buttons and Ribbons
The spots were tiny, smaller than my little finger's finger nail. I decided not to risk trying to spot wash the top. I would cover the spots with sequins.

Sewing sequins
How do you sew on a sequin? It has only one hole. If you radiate the threads it looks odd.

To hide the three threads you have to sew in one direction only. Then place the next sequin overlapping the thread on the first.

An alternative if you are in a hotel and have no sequins is to use pearl buttons. You can usually get a sewing kit from a hotel or supermarket with a couple of pearly shirt buttons. Pearly buttons can be sewn on with white thread. A five star hotel might have a button sewing service, which could be safer than trusting them to dry clean your garment or sending your garment out to a laundry when you have a plane to catch next day.

Pin or Sew On Ribbons
No sequins nor buttons? If you don't have sequins of buttons, or don't think sequins and buttons suit the garment, consider ribbons. You can double a length of ribbon and pin it on with a brooch. No brooch? Pin it on with a concealed safety pin.

Make a ribbon patch or appliqué. Cut out oblongs of ribbons, seam them and sew them on. Or wind the ribbon into a spiral to make a rose or abstract decoration.

Beads
Small or large beads could also be used.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
Author of How To Get Out Of The Mess You're In.




No comments: