Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Fellini Restaurant - always open for coffee, cake, sandwiches and snacks between meal

Fellini is easy to find and always open, all day, every day of the week, and almost every day of the year. (Open Xmas Day if you want to pre-book Xmas dinner - and two sittings on New Year's Eve last year).

So, popping out for a late lunch or tea, two of us stopped for a sandwich and cake and coffee.

The cakes and drinks are on one menu, the savoury snacks and sandwiches on another. We opted for the goat's cheese and dried tomato. About £4.50.


Baguette - not toasted.

What's inside?

Carrot cake.

The sandwich was not in the sort of bread I was expecting. We were offered a choice of baguette or something else and chose the baguette.

My friend decided to have her bread toasted. My bread was untoasted, although the filling was warm.

For cakes, we went up to look at the deli counter. I dithered over the cheesecake with fruit topping. Was it the baked sort? I asked for all the cakes to be turned around so I could see the cut part and insect the insides. Anything with nuts? Yes. The one which used to be my favourite, Tarta della nonna (granny's tart, exclaims my friend, who speaks Spanish). But it looked too much like a custard tart. My friend opted for carrot cake, so I tried the  same.

We both ordered cappuccino, which came up fast, first.

The tables are small enough for you to sit eyeball close, which I like. Cosy.

I seem to have gone off bought cakes, which seem either too sugary or too dry. I should have had the pear tart which looked nice and moist. Next time.

Except that:
a) I am on a diet.
b) It always seems to me that it's better value to have a whole meal for not much more money than a snack, and you get the glamour, too. But if you are in a hurry, a snack is the thing. We had a white cloth table, just for coffee and snacks, which was rather nice.

The cappuccino just disappeared fast. That's the way I like it. Usually when I notice coffee it's because the taste is bitter.

Service was friendly and fast. I particularly liked the welcome. "This is your table!" As if we'd reserved it, or it had been saved for us.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, 

No comments: