Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Korean, Russian and Greek alphabets - how to learn them



I have been learning German, Italian, Russian and Spanish (yes in alphabetical order), five minutes a day of each). I am impatient for them to produce the Greek and Hebrew which seem to be at the beta stage.

So I looked around for another free language site. I logged onto memrise. (Spell checker wanted to change that to memories but I now know to click on the little x after the suggestion which means I am telling spell checker NO!)

Korean
I just started learning Korean through www.memrise.com
I thought I could learn the entire alphabet in a couple of hours. I had looked at all the things I could learn in half a day or an evening and Korean seemed the easiest, only a couple of hours.

But it was very slow. Correction: I was very slow.

Korean M
I learned that M is a square, like a mouth.

Korean C is D
 If you see the letter C it is actually pronounced like an English D. So I say to myself, CD. C is D.

Korean H
The letter h in English is drawn like a face with a hat. A circle like a face with a wide line above like a wide brim of a hat and a tiny circle on top like the dome of a hat. H for hat.

Korean K
If you see a Korean letter like a reversed F you think, "Oh F..K - what's that!" The reversed F symbol sounds like an English letter K

After Korean, Russian and Greek seem easy. Mostly letters you recognize, even if they look like they are reversed.

Russian PR

Japanese
I also had a go at the Japanese words. I learned that hai means yes, rhyming with aye.

Chinese Numbers
 Then I looked at Chinese (Mandarin) signs. Why do they teach you such difficult ones first? For example, they teach you the letter one, yet not two or three. I learned one, two three off a table mat for children which I bought in Spotlight department store in Singapore.

You could start learning the letters for the numbers one to three which are all lines horizontal like the Roman numerals but sideways.

I did learn one sign. The upside down V shape, like an A shape written so fast that it doesn't join at the top, is a running man or adult or person. So when you see that sign on a bus in Singapore with a number next to it, you are reading the number of persons who are allowed on the lower or top deck.


Korean
On the other hand, today I have made a giant leap forward. I have learned ten Korean signs. In a month's time I shall know the Korean alphabet.

Japanese
S y o n a r a (goodbye in Japanese). I knew that already. Thank you for reading my blog post. the Japanese for thank you is arigato. Arigato dozaimasu. Thank you very much.

Enough for one day. I'm going back to the Duolingo website on which I am making slow but steady progress with the easy languages, German, Italian and Spanish.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and language teacher.

No comments: