Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, June 20, 2016

Learning Russian: using letters as links

Even my 'easy' website for learning Russian is posing me challenges. My latest lesson is using sentences about knowing, or living.

First I'm having trouble with the short words.

I have worked out

Ya is I

 on = him (like one)
oni = them (add an extra letter for the plural: extra letter, add i in Russian, add t in English)

ee = her (ee! not he but her)

ty = you singular and personal and friendly like tu in French, with the y as in you in English

vy = you plural or formal / polite like v o u s in French and You Very respectful

Ikh - they/their (like the French plural for their  i l s - in French the singular he is the two letter word i l, like the two letters of he, but the plural adds a letter in french, three letters for the plural, starting with the letter i, plus tall letter following, like a crowd of people - they)

ego = his (his ego)

g d e = where  (g d E = wherE, "Good day, Where ... "

v = in

g o r o d e = grand town, like grad as in Stalingrad which was the town named after Stalin and Volgograd, town named after the Volga river

c h t o = what (I am thinking what sounds like wot/whot; reverse o and t to get  w h t o ; drop the w
the word does not mean who which also has the letters t and o because it is a four letter word

POSSESSIVES
m e n y a = my MenYa = MY  - think 'My men, ya'; ya is German for yes

NOUNS
m a m y - mother or mum like the American songs by Al Jolson about Mammy
rebenka - child or kid (r-b-n-k notice the B K - think baby becomes a kid  r-n for children)
k n i g u - book Knigu - booK; KNigu - Knowledge from a Guru (GU) from a BOOK boo book

z d e s  - here (four letter word with an e in  z d E s and in hErE) maybe think of down here

VERBS
zneate - zNeate = (you plural) kNow N in Know
think) zneaTe = Think - zNeate - thiNk - you think you know, but really you kNow NoThing you just just think N T is reverse of T..N.
d u m a e t - thinks Think=dmaeT Does Mind Think ? D M T ; or what does the Dummy Think DuMaeT

ty znaesh = do you (singular, familiar) know?

zhivesh  (ty zhivesh) =  (you live = have a home)
zhivut = (they)  (Ya zhivut) live (I think zHivut - H for Home I / My home
z v e t e (

PLACE RELATIVE TO
v o z l e - near / in the vicinity (v-icinit-y voZle - Zone)
d a l e k o - D for Distant - far away - da-far rhymes, do re me fa - dalek wandered far, l e k o - mother let me go, far away, K O for kilometers  ;L K Long treK

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and language teacher.
Please like me on Facebook or link to me on LinkedIn. If you would like me to produce a book or ebook on this subject(learning languages) or travel, or spelling or grammar or any other subject. Tell me which and whether you would like a printed book, an ebook or both.

No comments: