Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Identifying trees when travelling - Maple, Sycamore and Woodland Trust

If you see a pretty plant or tree you can take a photo and afterwards identify it.

I took a picture of this leaf which is five lobed and looks like a maple. I knew it wasn't maple and guessed it was a sycamore. I was right. I searched for sycamore on the web and found a page on the Woodland Trust website.


The Woodland Trust website pointed out something I had not noticed. The Stalk of the leaf on a young tree is red. You can see that clearly in my picture. The website reminded me that the sycamore produces the winged seeds in spring. 

I nearly signed up for their spring and all seasons register which sounded useful. Then I saw that they would pass your details onto 'carefully selected' other companies. My inbox is already inundated.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/trees-woods-and-wildlife/british-trees/common-non-native-trees/sycamore/

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer. 

No comments: