Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, June 9, 2017

What are your most memorable delightful or disastrous journeys? Here are mine.



You can see another tok-tuk ahead. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Problem
You are so busy backing and organising that you forget the fun of travel. What are your three best or most memorable journeys you've ever taken, by train, plane, car, bus, bike, foot, horse, horse-drawn carriage, sleigh, sledge, ski, toboggan or tuk-tuk (motorbike pulling bouncing, open sided, roofed mini-carriage)?

Answer
Here are my best memories.   
Mine are 

1) The Tuk-Tuk 
The tuk-tuk which met us at the airport in Cambodia for transfer to hotel. We countedover pot holes and my hat nearly blew off in the breeze. Why have I learned? Always have ribbons on your hat. Don't lend your best baseball cap to somebody else who has already lost theirs in a breeze.

2) The Chair Lift
Stranded on a chair lift for three in a ski resort in the USA, watching the people ahead abseiling down with a rescuer. First I worried that we would be hours and I would need the toilet. Then I worried that I was getting pins and needles and would have to wriggle and would drop a ski or shake the seat so that I and the others would fall off. Then I worried that I would have to abseil down. Then I worried that the abseiler had vanished and we would be forced to sleep in the cold overnight, trying not to loll off and fall off. Finally we hear an announcement in three languages - all echoing, none of which we could understand. We knew what they must have been saying when the chair jerked and we were off to the summit. What have I learned?

3) Husky Dog Ride
On a husky dog ride on a press trip to the USA, trying to make notes with my notebook against the back of the sled driver as I shouted questions and he answered. My main worry was, would I be able to read the squiggly writing when we stopped.

4) Getting Off A Camel
When I told the driver that I was ready to get off, the driver told me to hold and tight and told the camel something in Arabic which probably meant, throw her off. The camel bent its knees and I was nearly thrown forwards over its head. I landed in squealing heap on the camel driver's feet.

5) Most Embarrassing Spilled Drinkl
I was drinking Champagne or some kind of bubbly drink which was rather potent. I rested it on the arm rest between myself and a smartly dressed Japanese businessman. The plane lurched. I reached to steady my glass and accidentally knocked it all over him wetting his thighs and crotch. I apologised profusely, to no avail. I don't know what he muttered but he was not happy. I should have asked him to repeat it and learned a few swear words. He summoned the stewardess, as they were called in those days. She brought him some paper towels. He was busy wiping himself down. She brought me a second drink. The same thing happened again! I spent most of the rest of the journey hiding in the toilet, giggling.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: